Wednesday, March 27, 2013

North Rim Rainbow, Take 2


If you didn't know I was neurotic, this will clear things up.

I originally posted a version of this picture on December 20, 2012. I
got several nice comments about it, and I agree it is a nice picture.

But...

It suffered from one of the rookie HDR mistakes, the "Horizon Halo".
If you look on the left of the picture where the land meets the sky ,
mysteriously the sky is brighter near the ground even though the sun
is behind me. This is an artifact of the way HDR works.

Anyway it has been bugging me ever since then, so I finally redid the
picture. I hope this one is as well received as the last. I also put
up each of the exposures used to create the HDR image.




The original HDR. Notice the "Horizon Halo"



Lowest exposure. Notice how the horizon on the left appears.









Second exposure. One stop higher (shutter open twice as long as first).









Third exposure. One stop higher (shutter open twice as long as second).









Fourth exposure. One stop higher (shutter open twice as long as third).









Fifth exposure. One stop higher (shutter open twice as long as fourth).

No comments: