Monday, September 18, 2017

John Muir Trail: Day 15

Day 15.  The day I got my mojo back. I crossed Selden Pass then went off trail to Medley Lake before crossing Bear Creek and spending the night just before the climb to Bear Ridge.

My daily progress and major trail milestones can be seen at https://caltopo.com/m/DKGD, or on Google Earth using https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cy12lzxnuvatsa/2017.07.30_JMT_Actuals.kml?dl=0. The caltopo website is the best place to look to find the place name I use.

Day 15 elevation profile in yellow

Day 15 route in blue
The approach to Selden Pass from Heart Lake was easy.  The hard part had been done the day before.

Selden Pass
I had heard that Marie Lake was a beautiful place, but the view from the pass was still surprising.  It renewed my spirits for the first time since I started down from Evolution Valley.

Marie Lake viewed from Selden Pass
In the picture above you can see a peninsula that extends from the western (left) shore of the lake, almost all the way to the eastern shore.  I walked out on that peninsula and ate lunch at the end of it. When I was done I assessed the situation and decided I would do a little off trail exploring.  I crossed the short waterway between the lakes, which was fairly shallow.  My intention was to walk around the northern part of the lake until I met the trail again and then continue on.

The straits of Marie Lake
When I got to the north east corner of the lake I stopped to take in the view.  In the process of looking at my map and the terrain I realized that I was just a short cross country walk from one of my side trips.  Feeling in need of something out of the ordinary, I changed my plan and headed for Medley Lake.

Seven Gables Peak.  Medley Lake it to the right behind the hill that rises from the middle of the picture.
To get to Medley lake I had planned to maintain my altitude and traverse around this hill.  The further I went, the steeper it got.  I had to backtrack a bit and then climb up to the top of the hill.  From the top I had a great view of Marie Lake on one side and Medley Lake on the other.

Medley Lake over my left shoulder. Click the image for the full panorama.
I scrambled down the east side of the hill into Medley Lake basin.  On the map it appeared as if Medley Lake was a series of lakes connected by streams.  In reality the streams were too deep and wide to cross, effectively making it a single labirynthian lake.  I started about the lake counterclockwise not knowing this. and instead of a short walk, I spent about two hours circumnavigating the lake.  It was the most fantastic lake I had seen.  I would be fantastic to bring a small raft up there to explore with.

Medley Lake "Stream" crossing.  Click the image for the full panorama
My trip around Medley Lake took me south to the inlet stream that flowed from Flat Note Lake and then north along the eastern shore to Sandpiper Lake.  At Sandpiper Lake I picked up an old use trail that would lead back to the JMT.

Sandpiper Lake
The use trail faded out after a while and instead of hunting for it, I went cross country down the hill using the creek as my guide.  As I got close to Lou Beverly Lake I happened upon this waterfall. If I had managed to keep with the trail I would never have seen this.

Waterfall above Lou Beverly Lake
The terrain flattened out and the stream became wide and slow, then flowed into Lou Beverly Lake.

The inlet stream to Lou Beverly Lake
This is the inlet to the lake.  You can see how the sediment has built up to the point where reeds can grow out of the lake bed.

Lou Beverly Lake
At Lou Beverly Lake I pickup up the trail again and followed it all the way back to the JMT this time. I rejoined the trail just above the first Bear Creek crossing.  I missed a small bit of the JMT but looking at the map I figured I got the better part of the deal.

Bear Creek Crossing just below Rosemarie Meadow, 10,000 ft elevation.
From where I rejoined I was still able to get a good view of Rosemarie Meadow.  The only thing I missed is Marshall Lake.

Rosemarie Meadow
The second, lower crossing of bear creek was much deeper and wider and faster than the upper crossing.  During the spring this is one of the crossings that can be dangerous.  For me it was just wet feet.

Bear Creek Crossing, 9570 ft elevation
Bear Creek is another wonderful waterway.  The water is cold and clear and tastes like water should taste.

Bear Creek
After a long day I arrived in camp surprisingly refreshed.  My unexpected discovery of a shortcut to Medley Lake was just what I needed to reset my attitude.  From this point forward I would just wander along the trail, stop where it was interesting and camp when it got late.

Camp 15, 9000 ft elevation along Bear Creek
I was camped right near this cascade.  It is a beautiful sound.  I fell asleep quickly.

Bear Creek, just below my campsite.

No comments: