Monday, December 8, 2008

eee pc 1000 Linux

I got my eee pc today finally. First impressions are ho-hum. The
screen size is good and the keyboard size is good. i have pretty big
hands (more than 9" handspan) so for most people the keyboard would be
almost spacious I think. The right shift button is a problem though. I
had read about the up arrow where the shift should be problem but
thought it would be easy to adjust. I am adjusting I guess, but slowly.

Software availability is also limited. One of the things that makes
Linux so attractive to me is the vast range of software available. The
Xandros Linux distribution that comes with the eee pc has virtually no
software and no vast repositories the way Ubuntu or other distros have.
It makes me wonder why Asus chose Xandros. I am sure there are some
hacks to get full repositories, but there is not an out of the box
solution. If I was not already a Linux user, I think I would return
this computer. As it is I see it as another hobby, and not a daily
computer. Unfortunately I already promised my old desktop to my kids,
so i will either make the most of it or start using my server for daily
computing.

I wonder if Asus is feeding their hardware hacks upstream for inclusion
in future kernels?

The biggest ommision I saw for a Linux distro was the lack of a terminal
window. Luckily I ran across the cntrl+alt+t shortcut to open a
terminal window.

Apparently the distro is single user only. Not a big deal for me, but
why do commercial users like to break all the great features in free
software?

I have been looking around for a way to install gnucash. I will try and
add the xandros 4 repository to get gnucash. Alternatively I will try
to compile from source.

No comments: