Monday, December 15, 2008

ubuntu-eee

Today I installed ubuntu-eee on my eeepc 1000. The installation was
typical for an ubuntu installation and everything worked out of the
box. ubuntu-eee is based on 8.04 and uses the netbook remix user interface.

After I rebooted into ubuntu-eee, it found my wireless network and
connected right away. I was able to connect up to my HP printer
Photosmart C6180. Able to install GNUCash. The hours left and percent
left indicate that the total battery life will be 4-5 hours, so about
the same as with xandros. It takes about 1 minute to boot, including
time to type login and password. Another 15 seconds to log onto my
wireless. That is about 20 seconds slower than xandros by xandros took
forever to get a network logon. Shutdown time is about 20 seconds.

Xandros is now permanently off my machine and I am happy to have
ubuntu. I think xandros was trying to be somewhat like windows using
drive letters and such, but they locked it down so tight it was only
good for being replaced.

I am going to try the eeebuntu next, which is based on 8.10. It is
available in the NBR and standard desktop. It might be a few weeks
before I do that because I am going on vacation and have to use the
computer as a productivity tool instead of a puzzle.

No comments: