Monday, December 22, 2008

final eeepc OS

I finally settled on the eeebuntu 2.0 OS. I tried ubuntu-eee (8.04), tried to download eeedora, briefly considered Debian, eeeos and an eee version of PC Linux OS and hacking standard Ubuntu, but settled on eeebuntu because it worked and is currently supported.

I am using the netbook remix version and am very pleased with it.

Since I now have a mobile computer, I restructured a bit the way I use my email. Up until now I have used IMAP off my home server using cron and getmail to download from my POP account. I added a POP account to Thunderbird and set cron to download at midnight. If I am away from home I can get my email directly from POP and then transfer to IMAP when I get home.

At first I could not get Skype to work because the webcam was turned off in the BIOS. I fixed that and then had to adjust the volume.

I had very quiet sound. Unless I put my ear to the keyboard I couldn't hear anything. I right clicked on the speaker and selected preferences. Then left click on the speaker icon so the volume slider displays. Now click on PCM, LineOut and Capture and watch the volume slider. For me, LineOut was at half volume because I was controlling PCM, whatever that is. I turned up LineOut and selected that as the one to control and now I can hear. Thanks for the leads.

Now Skype works great but the built in microphone has poor sound quality so I am using an external mic.

I still do not have the 4 special buttons working, but that is not a show stopper for me.

No comments: